United Way of Moscow/Latah County
The United Way of Moscow/Latah County began as the Community Chest in the mid 1930’s under the sponsorship of the Moscow Chamber of Commerce. The organization functioned intermittently after World War II, stopped for several years and was eventually reorganized as the Moscow United Fund in 1956. In the 1970’s, the United Way of Moscow/Latah County, Inc. was created as a private non-profit member agency of the United Way of America.
Originally, a board of 23 volunteer members from the community at large operated the Community Chest and later the United Way. Any individual who contributed money and or service to the United Way was considered a member of the organization and could be elected to the Board of Directors. Any agency desiring to participate in the United Way campaign could be a member agency upon designation by the board.
Six volunteer members of the Board of Directors now operate the United Way of Moscow/Latah County. The Board of Directors come from the local community and represent the diverse professional business and regional population. It is still true today that any individual contributing money or service is a member of the organization and has voting rights at the Annual Meeting usually held in January. Agencies apply to the Board of Directors to become United Way partners and membership is determined at the allocation hearings by the Allocations committee. Currently, there are 20 human service agencies under the umbrella of the United Way of Moscow/Latah County.